On March 30, 2020, the FBI released a notice, “Reports of Teleconferencing and Online Classroom Hijacking”, which detailed instances where online classrooms are “being disrupted by pornographic and/or hate images, and threatening language.”
The Google Hangouts Meet video-teleconferencing app is included with G Suite for Education and is available for all OWU students, faculty, and staff.
- Meeting hosts can moderate their virtual meetings and mute or remove any disruptive or unauthorized participants. Learn how to Pin, mute, or remove Hangouts Meet participants.
- Do not publicly post meeting links, as anyone can join the session. Share the link directly w/ your intended participants via Google Calendar or email.
Blackboard Collaborate is a simple and reliable virtual classroom solution optimized for online teaching and instructional web conferencing.
- Being integrated with Blackboard Learn (our learning management system,) by default it only allows access to those enrolled in the course.
- A guest link may be obtained and provided to anyone outside the class you’d like to invite to participate. Learn how to Invite Attendees to Your Sessions.
- Instructors in the course are given the moderator role in Collaborate, which grants them the ability to mute or remove participants from the session. Learn how to Manage Attendees.
Information Services recommends Google Hangout Meet and Blackboard Collaborate. If you choose to use Zoom:
- Do not make meetings or classrooms public. In Zoom, there are two options to make a meeting private; require a meeting password or use the waiting room feature and control the admittance of guests.
- Manage screensharing options. In Zoom, change screensharing to “Host Only.”
- Ensure your Zoom app is up to date.