Installing a Printer
To install a printer on your Windows 7 PC
- Open Devices and Printers
- Click Add a printer
- For a local printer: Windows 7 automatically installs USB printers when you plug them in. If the you have a non-USB printer, click on Add a local printer. If the printer came with a disc insert it to install the drivers, or you may have to download the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
- For a network printer:
- Click on Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer
- If the printer is in the list, double click to install
- If it is not in the list click ‘The printer that I want isn’t listed’
- Select ‘Find a printer in the directory’ and click Next
- Double click the printer to install
- Windows will install the printer
- Click Next
- To make this the default printer, click on Set as the default printer
- Click Finish
To install a printer on your Windows 8 or 8.1 PC
- Swipe your cursor to the right top side of the screen
- From there select the settings icon and click control panel
- Click the view devices and printers ( note : This option is under the hardware and sound heading)
- Select the option “add a printer” on the top of the screen
- It will search for the wired or wireless printers that you are connected to.
- If you cannot find the printer that you want to connect to select “The printer that I want isn’t listed” and fallow the on screen directions.
Installing a network printer on a Mac
- Go to System Preferences
- Click the “Print & Fax” icon in the Hardware section
- Make sure the lock in the bottom left corner is open so changes can be made
- Click the “+” button in the bottom left corner of the list of printers
- An “Add Printer” window will open. At the top of the window click the IP tab.
- For “Protocol” select “Internet Printing Protocol – IPP”
- For “Address” enter the IP address of the printer you’re trying to add. If you’re adding a campus printer (for faculty and staff) the IP address may be somewhere on the printer. If you can’t find the IP address for an OWU printer you can contact the Help Desk for assistance.
- Leave the “Queue” field blank.
- The “Name” field probably automatically took the IP address you entered. Change the name to something more descriptive.
- For “Location” just type something descriptive to help you remember which printer it is.
- Leave “Print Using” on the value that was automatically selected when you entered the IP.
- Click the Add button and the printer will be added to the list of available printers. You may now select it when printing from any application.