Installing a Printer
To Install a Printer on your Windows 10 PC
Installing a Network Printer on a Mac
To Install a printer on your Windows 10 PC
- Select the Windows icon on the bottom left of your screen and click the settings icon.
- From there, select the Devices icon and find the Printers & Scanners option in the menu.
- Select the “Add a printer or scanner” option at the top and it will begin searching for wired and wireless devices.
- If the printer you want isn’t listed, scroll down to select the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option. This option is available even if the printer you need is listed.
- A dialogue box will open with multiple options to help you find the device, such as name, location, IP address, etc. The directory option can allow you to manually search for the printer you need.
Installing a network printer on a Mac
Last updated for Catalina.
- Open System Preferences.
- Click the “Printers & Scanners” icon.
- If there’s a lock in the bottom left corner, make sure it is open, so changes can be made.
- Click the “+” button in the bottom left corner of the list of printers
- An “Add” window will open. At the top of the window click the IP tab.
- Enter the IP address of the printer you’re trying to add. If you’re adding a campus printer (for faculty and staff) the IP address may be somewhere on the printer. If you can’t find the IP address for an OWU printer you can contact the Help Desk for assistance.
- For “Protocol” change it to “Line Printer Daemon – LPD”
- Leave the “Queue” field blank.
- The “Name” field may automatically copy the IP address you entered. Change the name to something more descriptive, if you want.
- For “Location” just type something descriptive to help you remember where it is.
- Leave “Usin” on the value that was automatically selected when you entered the IP.
- Click the Add button and the printer will be added to the list of available printers. You may now select it when printing from any application.
Adding a printer to your printer list in Mac OS X