BishopApps is OWU’s online application suite powered by Google Apps. BishopApps provides students and faculty with web based email (BishopMail), calendars, office applications (documents, spreadsheets, forms, presentations, and drawings), and personal web pages.
Google has released Google Drive — the newest member of the Google Apps suite, where you can keep everything and share anything. Google Drive replaces and enhances the Google documents list. With Google Drive, you can securely upload any file or folder to the web and access the most up-to-date versions of those files from anywhere. You can access Google Drive in your web browser and also download the Drive application to a Mac, PC, Android or iOS device to seamlessly access files across any of these devices. Each user will have 5GB of included storage space for their Google Drive.
Click here for an overview of Google Drive.
BishopApps Drive (previously Documents) gives you access to Google’s online word processing, spreadsheet, forms, presentation, and drawing creation software using the same account info you use to log into BishopMail. It can also be used as an online file repository. A short summary from the Documents homepage:
- Create and Share Your Work Online
- Upload from and save to your desktop
- Edit anytime, from anywhere
- Pick who can access your documents
- Share changes in real time
- Files are stored securely online
For more info about BishopApps Drive, check out the tour or see the Google Docs help page. Start using BishopApps Drive by going to the BishopMail login page, logging in as usual with your OWU email credentials, and clicking on “Drive” in the top left hand corner of the page that appears after you log in.
- Sign in to BishopMail via the OWU home page: http://www.owu.edu/.
- Click on the Apps icon at top left (small squares). Then click on Drive.
- Click on the red Upload icon next to the Create tab.
- Click on ‘ Files’ in the box that opens.
- Browse to find the file you wish to share, and click Open. You can upload Microsoft Office Excel, PowerPoint, and Word files, as well as others.
- *Note: In order to be able to edit documents online, you must check the box that says “Convert documents, presentations, and spreadsheets to the Corresponding Google Docs formats.”
- Click the Start Upload button.
- Once uploaded and converted, a green check mark will appear before the file name, which is also a link. Click on the link to open the spreadsheet. You’ll see it now appears as a Google Spreadsheet in the Google Docs interface.
- Now, to share the document with others, click on the drop-down triangle next to the Share button at top right, and click “Share settings…” at the top of the menu.
- Click the Change link across from ‘Private – Only the people listed below can access’.
- Click the circle next to ‘People at OWU BishopApps with the link’.
- Click the Save button. At this point you will return to the Sharing settings window. If you’d like, you can add people and grant them permission to edit by typing their names, usernames, or email addresses into the ‘Add people’ box. When finished, click the Close button.
- You will have returned to the spreadsheet. Click in your browser’s address bar. (Most browsers will automatically select the entire contents of that box; if not, press Ctrl+A or Command+A on a Mac to select all.) Copy that address using the Edit menu, Ctrl/Command+C, or right/special click.
- Paste this address into an email and send to everyone you wish to view the spreadsheet. Once they click the link and open the file in BishopApps, the spreadsheet will show up as one of their documents so they can access it by clicking on Documents, rather than using the link in the email. Likewise, editors will be able to find it in their Documents list to update it.
- Once you (or they) have opened up the spreadsheet you can see the revision history by selecting See revision history from the File menu.
First, follow steps 1-8 above to create the document. Then do this:
- Click on the Share button at top right.
- Click the Change link across from ‘Private – Only the people listed below can access’.
- Click the circle that says in “Allow everyone with the link to view (OWU BishopApps users only). You may also allow them to edit the document (by checking the box at the bottom).
- Click once in the box below “Paste this link in email or IM:” The link will be highlighted. You may now copy it using a right mouse button click or the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+C (Command+C on a Mac.)
- Click the Close button.
- The link is now stored on the clipboard, ready to be pasted into an e-mail or anywhere else. People who click on that link will get access to the document.
Google Calendar is a free online calendar you can use through your BishopApps account. From the Google Calendar homepage:
- Organize your schedule and share events with friends
- Share your schedule
Let your family and friends see your calendar, and view schedules that others have shared with you.
- Get your calendar on the go
Access your calendar from your phone using its built-in calendar or mobile browser.
- Never forget another event
Get event reminders via email or have text messages sent right to your mobile phone.
For more info on Google Calendar check out the about page or see the help page. You can start using Google Calendar by going to the BishopApps page, logging in as usual with your OWU email credentials, and then clicking on the “Calendar” link in the top left corner of the page that loads.
When logged into BishopMail, there is a Calendar link along the top left of the page.
To share your calendar with specific users, follow these steps:
- In the calendar list on the left side of the page, click the down-arrow button next to a calendar, then select Share this calendar. (Alternatively, click the Gear Icon in the top right hand corner, then select a calendar and click the Share this calendar link.)
- Enter the email address of the person you want to share your calendar with. People in your Contacts and in the OWU Directory will automatically appear as you type.
- From the drop-down menu, select a level of permission, then click Add Person. (Once you click Add Person , the person you selected to share the calendar with will receive an email invitation to view your calendar.)
To share your free/busy information with everyone at OWU, follow these steps:
- In the calendar list on the left, click on the down-arrow button next to the appropriate calendar, then select Share this calendar.
- Select the box Share this calendar with others.
- The option to Share this calendar with everyone in the organization OWU BishopApps will automatically be checked.
- If you don’t want others to view the details of your events, select See only free/busy (hide details).
- Click Save.
This will allow anyone with a BishopApps account to access your calendar by entering your name or email address into the Add a coworker’s calendarfield under Other calendars.
- Log in to your BishopMail account.
- Once logged in to your BishopMail account, click on “calendar” at the top of the page.
- Scroll down to the “other calendars” option on the left hand side of the page.
- Click the word “Add”, and select “Add by URL”
- Insert the URL of the calendar you’d like to import or type the name or email address of someone whose calendar you’d like to add.
- Click “Add Calendar”
- Now all of the events from the calendar you imported should show up in your own Google Calendar.
- 2011-2012 Admission Event Calendar:
- Click here to open the Calendar in a new window.
- Or to Import this Calendar, enter “owu.edu_ eseaslqb53o9hj7hqbje6qh2bo@ group.calendar.google.com” (no quote marks) into the Other Calendars box, and hit the Enter key.
- To view the IS Training Room (Corns 109) and IS Conference Room (Corns 114) calendars and to get instructions for reserving it, go to the General FAQs page.
- Go to event details page on your meeting.
- In the Add: Guests section on the right side of the page, enter the first few letters of a guest’s full name to look up the address in your directory.
- Select the guest to add him or her to your events Guests list.
- Continue adding your guests’ email addresses one by one. (See Importantmessage below)
- Optionally, select options in the Guests section to allow or prevent guests from changing event details, inviting more people to your event, or viewing who else is invited.
- If desired, fill in the rest of the fields on the page.
- Click Save.
- You can add a group address to your Guests’ List (see the section on Google Groups). Or, you can create your own contact group in your personal contacts and add that to the guest list.
- If you copy and paste a guest list from another source (for example, a document), make sure you separate each address with a coma (semicolons are not supported).
Google Calendar asks you if you want to send invitations to the guests. Your guests can respond to the meeting invitation and leave comments.
Tip: If you want to check the availability of your guests before creating the event, use the Find a Time tab. You can see how your proposed event time will work for each guest. If necessary, use the date and time options at the top of the tab to change the time of your meeting. Or, simply drag the blue box to a time available to all guests. Your guest must be using BishopApps Calendar and sharing their free/busy info with you.
Google documents have comments and discussions, improving Google Docs as a collaboration tool. Discussion/comments are visible to shared viewers and collaborators. These features include: discussion thread, time-stamp, profile pictures, and comment notification. Discussion statuses include Edit, Delete, Resolved, and Link to this comment. The discussion thread is archived and can be recalled by clicking on the Discussion button at the top of the Google Docs screen. Comments and discussions are only available in documents created since March 2011.
- Place you cursor or highlight the text where you’d like your comment to appear.
- From the Insert Menu, select Comment.
- You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+M (Cmd+Option+M for Mac) to insert a comment
- Type your comment in the box that appears to the right of the document.
After inserting a comment, there are two main places you can work with it inside the document: within the comment or in the discussion thread accessible from teh Discussion drop-down menu in the top right of your document. You canreply to a comment with a new post, edit or delete previous comment you’ve inserted, and resolve the discussion when you’re ready to remove it from the document. Resolving a discussion removes the discussion from the document, but resolved threads will always be available under the Discussions drop-down menu.
- Sign into BishopApps
- Click on “Drive” tab in the top left corner
- Once in Drive click on the red “Create” tab. A list will drop down, select “form”.
- Then you create your survey by typing your questions and selecting the question types you wish to have.
- When you are finished creating you survey click on the “Done” tab.
The URL, or web address, for the survey appears at the bottom of the form. When people start filling out the form, BishopApps will keep track of responses in a spreadsheet. To go to the form from the spreadsheet use the Form menu.
- Sharing folders (previously called collections) is a great way to quickly share a variety of files with the same person or group. To create a folder, go to your Drive List. Then, click the red Create button and select Folder from the drop-down list. Enter a name for your folder and click Ok.
- To add items to your shared folders, you can drag each doc from your Drive List to the folder . You can also use Ctrl (PC) or Command (Mac) to select multiple items and use Folders in the Actions menu. You may also upload files into the folder with the red Upload button (next to Create.)
- Sharing a folder with someone is an easy way to give someone access to the items within your folder. Just click the arrow next to My Drive in the navigation pane on the left of your docs. Then, select the folder you’d like to share, click the More drop-down menu just to the right of the folder name, and select Share.
- At the bottom of the ‘Sharing settings’ window, type the email addresses of anyone you’d like to share the folder with. You may choose to grant view or edit permissions.
- Note: When you share a folder, the new permissions are pushed to all folders and docs within the main folder. Normally this happens quickly, but occasionally, it could take a couple of minutes.
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Open Google Chrome Frame page in IE;
3. Click on Get Google Chrome Frame icon on the page to start downloading the plug-in.
4. Agree the term of use policy and install the plug-in by following the straightforward installation wizard.
5. You may need to restart the browser to be able to use it. And you can see if it is installed properly from Manage Add-ons window.
Google Sites is a free and easy way to create and share webpages right from your BishopApps account. You can create rich webpages easily and control who can view and edit them. For more info on Google Sites check out the overview or thehelp page. To start using Google Sites go the the BishopApps page and login using your normal OWU email credentials and then click on the “Sites” link in the top left corner or the page that loads after you log in.
Google Groups is all about helping users connect with people, access information, and communicate effectively over email and on the web. Anybody can create, join, and search groups. What can you do with a group? You can:
From within a group, you can reply to a message that someone else posted, or post a message or question of your own. You can choose to read and respond to posts online or through Email.
- Create Pages
Use it for information about your group, shared documents, or anything you want to publish online. Any member can view, contribute to, and comment on the pages, from right within your group.
No two groups are the same, so why should they look the same? Select pictures, colors and styles to give your group its own distinct look.
- Share Files
Group members can upload files and share their work with others in the group.
Some further information on OWU BishopApps Groups:
- All BishopApps Groups are private, meaning external members can only send email to groups. They do not have access to the group site.
- Anyone in the owu.edu domain can create groups. A newly created group will automatically have the suffix “-group” added to its group email address (so firstname.lastname@example.org). Group creators automatically become group owners.
- Group owners can add members from outside our domain, and can allow incoming email from outside this domain.
- All newly created groups are hidden from the groups directory by default. Group owners can choose to list groups in the groups directory.
- Email aliases we’ve created in our LDAP show up as Groups, and members (targets of the alias) have access to them with all the features of a Group. However, these alias groups (and they all have a prefix “alias: “) do not have owners, and members have no control over the group.
- OWU BishopApps Groups are available via the “More” link next to “Sites” along the top of the screen.
To learn how to create a Google Group, see this video on Google’s help page. (Note: some of the options shown in the video do not apply to our BishopApps domain.
To learn more about Google Groups, see Google’s help page.
If you’re having issues with BishopApps you can check this page to see if Google is having any problems with their service. If there’s an issue with the BishopApps service (as opposed to a problem with your own computer) it should show up on that page.